Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sorry Barnes & Nobel

Before the end of last year I decided to take a hard look at all my expenses to see where I could institute some savings. It turned out to be easier and less pain full than I had anticipated. In just a couple of months I can already see the results with a much fatter bank account. I was always a vociferous book buyer. I would go into Barnes & Nobel to purchase a specific book and end up leaving with a bag full of wonderful novels. I love books, especially hard bound ones, despite the fact I really didn't have a room full of shelves on which to story my books after they were read. Recently I checked out my property tax bill to see how much I was paying each year to my county library system. It turns out I pay about sixty dollars annually for something I really wasn't using. Well, I decided this was silly and I really should get the library habit. My local library is only about a fifteen minute walk from my condo, which means I get that little added exercise-plus when I go to pick-up or return a book. I keep little lists of recommended books that I hear about and I love going to the library website on my computer and searching these titles out. I request the book on-line and then my library sends me an email when it is available for pick-up. Talk about service. I love it and it makes me feel good that I am personally getting value out of my tax dollars. Of course I didn't use the library the first eighteen years I lived here so that make that very first book I picked up quite valuable, a rare edition indeed. I am making headway though and I will be ahead of the game before long. None of this takes into account the research materials that I use that are available through the library's site on-line. That's an extra plus. Well, I'm off to the library now. Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment