Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's Oscar Night

It's a big night in Hollywood and even Oscar is making sure he will look his best. What is it about the Academy Awards that draws us in? Is it the films that are nominated, the glamour and glitz of Hollywood's big night or just seeing all those stars up close and personal in our very own living room? There have been years when I have seen each and every film on the list and other years when I can't even claim one that I have seen. I remember a time when the Academy Awards were eagerly awaited and filled with excitement. But now there are so many of these award shows it seems by the time Oscar Night rolls around I have become super-saturated with "and the winner is...". Last night I watched the Independent Spirit Awards, which by award-show standards is anything but glitzy. I like independent films even though they are hard to find in your locale theaters. But last night's shows is getting as goofy as all the others. The Spirit allows and even encourages profanity, ignore the fact any @#%## are bleeped and pix elated. Some of the winners comments last night became nothing more than a blur of pix elation. And the award for class-act goes to... Now that most films are available on DVD in a relatively short period of time I have started classifying films as 'theater-worthy' or 'wait for DVD'. This year I have a number in my Netflix queue awaiting viewing next month. I thought Revolutionary Road had really two of the great performances of the year. It is about acting, isn't it? Perhaps not if The Wrestler walks away with everything tonight. I think maybe Johnny Depp playing the lead role would have made a really interesting film. Well time to get ready for tonight's show, hair and make-up calls. I hope my dress got delivered in time. Enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment