Monday, February 25, 2019

Purple Pain, Purple Pain


Ohhhh, Spike.


"I'm snake-bit. Every time someone's driving somebody, I lose," Lee said. He was drawing a parallel between "Green Book," about the real-life Southern journey of a white man driving African-American pianist Don Shirley, and the 1989 best-picture Oscar winner "Driving Miss Daisy," about a wealthy white woman and her black chauffeur. ~ Lynn Elber, Ap Television Writer

You test us, Spike. You really do. Can't you just be happy that another Black History story was told. And maybe just some of us (yes, us white folk) learned something we didn't know before.

I thought Green Book was a touching story. A story about a man, Don Shirley, that I had never heard about before. And he was a talent wasn't he? And a story of how many blacks survived the South in those awful days via aids such as the Green Book.

Ok, I am white, sorry, it wasn't a choice, just my life story. But I didn't see the movie as being about a black man being saved by a white man.

So relax, man. Let people tell their stories and you continue to tell yours. There is room here for all of them.

Maybe this is why Americans are loving the Great British Bake-Off so much. We like stories of support. We don't always have to be hating on each other.

Yeah, do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment