Wednesday, September 30, 2015

If it’s Tuesday then it must be Belgium, Si?


Port of A Coruña, Spain

Since we crossed the waters from the UK we have been playing a game of country-ping pong, bouncing in and out of Spain and Portugal almost at will. If you take a look at the map you will see how Spain sort of wraps its arms around Portugal in a most loving embrace.


A Coruña, Spain

Perhaps once it was Portugal’s neck that Spain had it arms around? Spain seems to have a way of getting under the skin of smaller countries that it borders, case in point Gibraltar, but that will be for a post for a few days from now.

Yesterday in A Coruña, Spain and today in Leixões, Portugal I have enjoyed the quietude of a semi-deserted ship. For people like myself it is a time second only to sea days for pure enjoyment.


Leixões, Portugal 

I think I had an epiphany on this trip; it is not the destination that is important rather it is the journey.

When I was just seventeen my mother had my baby shoes waiting for me on my dresser when I returned home from my very first trip abroad. Beside them a little handwritten note… “Vagabond Shoes”.

I don’t think she realized how much that image and message would fuel my soul.





No comments:

Post a Comment