Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Finding Myself in Ålesund, Norway




I had no tours planned today so I was free to be me. I sleep like the proverbial baby while aboard ship. This morning I woke around four a.m. and worked on my blog until it got late enough to order breakfast in my cabin at 6 a.m.

I got a little confused. I meant to order two eggs scrambled with sausage, juice, coffee and toast. But when my ordered arrived I got my juice, toast and coffee but instead of two eggs scramble I got “two orders of scramble eggs and sausage”. They must have thought I had snuck in an over-night guest.

After my two-fer breakfast I went back to sleep, vaguely hearing the call to arms at nine a.m. when the ship docked and continued to sleep nicely until about ten a.m.



What an absolutely charming city this is. A wonderful mix of some new and mostly older architecture and it is so colorful, I wish I could post all the pictures here but you will have to make do with just a sampling.


The tourist information says this port was established in the early 19th century and has earned the ranking of the most important fishing harbor in Norway. This is due to its central location along with the discovery of oil in the North Sea in the 1970’s.


There is not a lot of traffic but certainly a fair amount and the local drivers are very courteous. They always will allow you to cross the street even if the signal is green for them to go.




There was no rain today, just a light cloud cover but the flowers and bright buildings managed to shine through the grey skies aided by the bubbly Norwegian personalities.

Tomorrow is an "at sea" day as we head further north to above the Arctic Circle. I will probably try and do laundry tomorrow and stay out of trouble...  or look for Trolls.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so beautiful. I'm glad you're posting this trip. Lets us peons in on the fun. Keep it up, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete