Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rise in Thyroid Cancer





 Thyroid cancer is reported to be on the rise and the reason why is baffling medical researchers. Thyroid cancer occurs more often in men than women and is more common in women under 45 but doctors don't know why.

“Ten years ago, if I saw four new thyroid cancer patients a year, it would have been a lot,” says G. Irene Minor, a radiation oncologist with Indiana University Health Central Indiana Cancer Center. “Now sometimes I see that many in a month, and I have seen three in a week.”
 “There is definitely something going on,”  says Tod Huntley, an otolaryngologist and head and neck surgeon with the Center for Ear, Nose, Throat and Allergy in Indianapolis. “How much is due to increased surveillance and detection and how much is due to an actual biological change in disease prevalence, we don’t know, but we know it’s both.”
 I have my own ideas of what might be going on but I will withhold judgement for now. Let's just say it has to do with the environment and certain cancer causing elements being released into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment