Tuesday, July 21, 2009

1969 Good Year for Wine and Tennis

Rod Laver - Tennis Great
We were born the same year, just seven months apart, Rod on the continent of Australia and me a half a world away in North American. We have been seen together on the same tennis court but alas that is where any similarity ends. Rod Laver won his first Grand Slam title in 1962, as an amateur player and he came back again in 1969 as a professional and did it all over again - won the Grand Slam; that's the Australian, French, Wimbledon and US Open all in the same year. It is quite a feat. I had the good fortune to meet Rod in the 70's at a tennis camp he was giving at Murrieta Hot Springs Resort. He is a quiet and unassuming man and very likable, the way I find most Australians. He taught us the serve and volley game that he himself was known for. Though for me I never had that good serve to follow in on and in addition probably have two of the slowest and lead filled tennis shoes you would ever see. The fun part was getting to hit with Rod, one on one, never mind trying to keep your eye on the ball, it was impossible not to forget for a second who that was across the net from you. We would rally back and forth a half dozen times and then Rod would set me up with what clearly would be a grand put away shot...winner, me! Back, back I go, reaching high over-head with my racket for my winning shot. Smash! Right into the net! I raise my head in disbelief, an opportunity lost, only to find the biggest smile on this Aussie's face; he had it all under control the whole time. I like it when nice, good people who do well become good examples for those that follow. To you Mr. Laver, you are one of the greatest and meeting you has always been an honor I have quietly carried with me for many, many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment