Friday, March 13, 2009

Going Home Again - Rosemead, CA 1938-1955

Family Home c. Early 1920's
The photo on the left probably was taken not long after the home was built in the early 1920's. The one on the right was taken a few years ago by my daughter, Linda, when she visiting the town where I grew up. This is the photo that more closely resembles the home when I lived there.
This home was built on part of the original Savannah Ranch that my great-grandfather settled when he came to California from Arkansas in 1850.
This was the house I was brought home to after my birth at St. Luke's Hospital in Altadena, California. I don't remember that day but I do remember walking to school (K-6) that was just three blocks down the street. I always thought that it was neat living so close to school.
We had a huge backyard, a portion of the yard was covered by Wisteria. I remember each Spring those beautiful purple blossoms hanging down like miniature Japanese lanterns. The surrounding yard had orange trees, apricot trees and adjacent to the property was a peach orchard. We always had healthy snacks available on the tree of our choice.
There was always something to do: dig a hole, climb a tree or build a fort. Across the street was a vacant lot where all the neighborhood kids would gather to play the sport of the season.
My 7th and 8th grade school years took me a little further away from home but I was still able to walk to school. When it was time for high school again I walked, in a different direction, maybe four or five blocks, though by that time we would take a longer route home through the town and stop at the corner drug store for a drink at the soda fountain. Sometimes stopping by the Five & Dime or the local ice cream parlour.
I lived in this home until I graduated from high school in June of 1955. After graduation I went to Europe for the summer to study at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland. While I was gone my parents would move to a new home and that is next week's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment