Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolution - Swing More

Illustration by EULALIE


The Swing

by Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing, 
Up in the air so blue? 
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing 
Ever a child can do! 

Up in the air and over the wall, 
Till I can see so wide, 
River and trees and cattle and all 
Over the countryside-- 

Till I look down on the garden green, 
Down on the roof so brown-- 
Up in the air I go flying again, 
Up in the air and down! 
~



I think we need to swing more in 2014. I can still remember the joys of a simple swing. All that was needed really was a good sturdy tree limb, the taller the tree the better. Some strong rope and a splinter-free piece of wood to use for the seat.

Yes, "I do think it the pleasantest thing ever a child can do". The last swing I had was a single rope swing that was knotted at the end to serve as a seat. It was this rope swing that was really the decider when I bought my first home after moving to St. Louis in 1990. It brought pleasure and provided forever memories to several grandchildren that were lucky enough to experience the joys of Gammie's rope swing.

As a child I can't remember a time when there wasn't a swing of some sort in the yard. Even those fancy factory built slider-swings were fun but really nothing was better then a tree swing.

I remember my all time favorite one that was in the backyard of my friends house. The tree was the tallest tree ever. We would swing so high that the ropes would jerk when they reached the apex of their arc. Our grip on the rope would tighten and we would squeal with delight.

Stevenson really captures the experience in his simple little poem.

Yes, definitely, number one on my resolution list is to swing more in 2014. Now if you will excuse me there is something I really must do now.




3 comments:

  1. This sounds excellent. I believe I'll start swinging right now. Oh, wait...there's a snowstorm. Well, perhaps later.

    Growing up in NYC, the only swings I saw were at the park. I always wanted to swing so high that I could leap off the swing at the top of the arc, and fly over the low fence that stood 10 feet in front of me. Never did it. I scare easy. (Or maybe I'm sensible, way deep down inside. Yes, that's it.)

    Good thought for the new year, Annie. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my Favorite. Poem. EVER. I have recited it to grandchildren and children as I would push them on the swing and would recite it (to myself and my imaginary friend) as I was swinging in my backyard tree swing where I grew up.
    Yes, how I like to go up in the swing! Meet you out back at the tree...
    Happy 2014
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swing could be the common bond that unites all mankind. Nice to hear from your Mare, hope all is well. Wishing Peace for all in 2014 and beyond.

      Delete