Sunday, January 12, 2014

Brain Waste


It seems I have waste on the brain, I mean literally. Read this interesting opinion piece by Maria Konnikova in the New York Times this morning, Goodnight. Sleep Clean.

I never thought about the brain creating waste and the need to have time set aside in order to clean out this waste. But after reading this it makes perfect sense to me.
"As your body sleeps, your brain is quite actively playing the part of mental janitor: It’s clearing out all of the junk that has accumulated as a result of your daily thinking."
I have sleep issues and without the aid of pills I probably would drop dead from lack of sleep. I tried to figure out what is different now, because I literally used to sleep like a baby. I suppose it is really a combination of lots of different things; less physical activity, age itself and the real culprit, I think - the electronic age.

I think my brain just gets so bombarded by electronic junk each day which comes from my television, my computer and phone and reading devices that it just can't get itself to a point where sleep can take over.

Dreams weren't mentioned in Goodnight. Sleep Clean, but I kind of think of dreams as the equipment that the brain's janitorial services uses to tidy things up.

Think about it. There is just so much more to be learned about our heady little organ.


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. Hand me the sleeping pills. But I use trazodone, which is truly okay for everyday use. The whole country should take it. And yes, this news about the brain is startling. It's so weird that we're only now finding out about a major maintenance process that takes place in the brain. My immediate reaction was: so that's why old people get Alzheimers. They don't sleep enough and their brain is never properly cleaned. It makes sense. My rule, BTW, is never to be on the computer later than 9 pm. I could sit at that screen all night, with ease! There's always more stuff to read. Anyway, good that you're posting about this. People need to understand why sleep is crucial if they want to remain functional. Okay, I have to go take a nap. Later.

    ReplyDelete