Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Gibraltar in the News Today

Photo by A. Pick ~ May 2013

There is a little bit of news coming from Gibraltar that has to do with building tensions between Britain and Spain over this contested British Overseas Territory. Gibraltar is located on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula at the entrance of the Mediterranean Sea.

  View of Northern Africa from the Gibraltar Rock
Photo by A. Pick ~ May 2013

The northern border of this territory is Province of Câdiz in Andalusia, Spain. Many people cross over this northern border each day as tourists, workers or as residents who have a second home in Spain.
Of course disputes have been going on for eons. The history of Gibraltar makes for an interesting read and here is a nice little piece that summarizes both views What are the competing claims over Gibraltar?

Photo by A. Pick ~ May 2013

I must confess that I came to see Gibraltar more for it's famous Barbary Apes than I did to explore it's long and contested history. But it is a beautiful spot from the top of the famous and rugged Rock down to the shoreline and it's quaint and charming city.

One of the famous Barbary Apes of Gibraltar
Photo by A. Pick ~ May 2013

The influence is definitely British, so much so I got the biggest craving for a lunch of Fish & Chips when I ended my morning tour of the local sights. I asked our driver for a recommendation and I was not disappointed.

This is Roy's Wife
Photo by J. Moore ~ May 2013

I will let Prime Minister David Cameron and his Spanish counterpart Mariano Rajoy work their détente magic, just don't take away my favorite Fish & Chips place.

 Cheers and Salud
Photo by A. Pick ~ May 2013 

2 comments:

  1. It's nice that famous photographer "A. Pick" allowed you to use his photos. Spices up the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "allowed to use", hmmm I had to pay dearly for those photos. ;-)

    ReplyDelete