Saturday, February 16, 2013

Stuff That Doesn't Get Talked About Enough

This is a big 'hat-tip' day and it's one of the things I love about Internet friends, we have each other's back so much of the time.

Friend Keith picked up on a Popey thing I emailed him and now I return the favor with this little nuclear nugget.

A tank that is holding nuclear waste at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in the state of Washington is leaking!

This is one of 177 tanks that hold waste from years ago when they produced plutonium for nuclear weapons at that facility. We are talking millions of gallons of waste.

The full story is interesting and you can read it here at this link U.S. News report leaks at Hanford Nuclear site.

I write a lot about our nuclear energy plants, but here is a different story going back years ago when we were producing plutonium for our atomic bombs. I guess we haven't learned much over time. When you deal with things nuclear it is always a dangerous and long-term thing.

I wish we would talk about this more so people could fully understand how serious this is. And to Keith thanks again for keeping me up on your "finds".


3 comments:

  1. To date, I have never seen anyone on TV speaking about the need to deal with nuclear waste. Never. People need to crowd-source that internet suggestion box for the president, and bring this up. But no one is even thinking about it. There's no "crowd" for the crowd-sourcing. It's so sad. Even if human beings disappeared today, sites where nuclear waste is stored would harm creatures for thousands of years. And yet people are hardly aware of this. It truly is a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is amazing isn't it that something so serious like this can be totally ignored. Sometimes I think I might be the 'loony' one. It might also be our attention span, which is what?...about two days. That would make it hard to wrap one's mind about anything that would impact the earth for thousands of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me, what did you say? I was thinking about Pistorius. Sorry.

      Delete