Wednesday, February 6, 2013

No más Sábado

"OK, so this photo isn't fair, my bad, Mr. Postmaster General."

My HuffPost Daily Brief headline read: Postal Service Takes Drastic Action

Then it went on to say that the USPS is going to save $2 BILLION annually by cutting out Saturday deliveries. 

That seems to me to be more 'smart' than 'drastic'. This day in age do we really need six day a week snail mail delivered to our post boxes? For me they could cut out all mail delivery and I probably wouldn't find my life altered that much.

I know for sure I can live without the two times a week store mailers that go directly from my mail box to the trash bin. Think of the trees that would be saved.

I get zero bills through the mail and it has been this way for quite some time.

Yes, there are those cards. The birthday cards from well meaning friends and family who usually end up phoning as well, and all of whom have email and could easily save the postage and cost of a card (sorry Hallmark) and just email a greeting if they are so inclined. Take the few bucks they spend and donate it to charity. I bet it would buy a least one person a nice meal for the price of a stamp and greeting card.

Oh yeah, and those catalogs that I am forever canceling. Please people I don't want them. My life is full of reading material, I don't need these dream books and I think I am too old to cut them up and play paper dolls like I did as a kid with the old Sears Catalogs.

Oh and I should mention the Christmas cards, don't need them. The only ones I enjoy are seeing how the little families grow to bigger families and how those cute adorable babies manage to survive to semi-adulthood. Those I enjoy. But those annual letters, thankfully none were received this past holiday, I find those the worst. Come on, we all know no one's family is that great. I am sure at least one of you guys had at least one member of the family do a couple of nights in the County Jail. Come on, fess up!

But the president of the National Association of Letter Carriers, Fredric Rolando, said the end of Saturday mail delivery is "a disastrous idea that would have a profoundly negative effect on the Postal Service and on millions of customers," particularly businesses, rural communities, the elderly, the disabled and others who depend on Saturday delivery for commerce and communication.
 I don't exactly buy Fredric Rolando's idea that ending Saturday mail delivery is "a disastrous idea". Times change and communication systems change as well. If two billion dollars a year can be saved by dropping Saturday mail deliveries it sounds like a wonderful idea. Read the article and decide for yourself. Also note the odd position Congress finds itself in. Hmm, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, except for the catalogs. I lust for the next Levenger catalog. LUST, I tell you!

    ReplyDelete