Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Record Breaking!!!!!


If you were watching the matches at Wimbledon today there was a point where you felt transported to the Coliseum in ancient Rome. It was the clash of two gladiators and I thought it would go on endlessly until one man finally collapsed.

Finally as the moon rose over Court 18 and twilight became a friend, the match was suspended with John Isner of the USA and Nicolas Mahut of France tied in their fifth set battle at 59 - 59. They will return tomorrow to begin again for a third day, to finish off their match which started on Tuesday.

They truly are gladiators, despite exhaustion to the point of near collapse, both continued to serve ace after ace and hit winner after winner. It has become the longest tennis match in history, over ten hours, the fifth set still unfinished is the longest game in history, and aces served are in the mid 90's for both men, no doubt before the game is completed someone will have served 100 aces.

I became transfixed, switching to ESPN3.com when the television coverage turned to the world cup matches, then the world cup matches ended and they were still playing. Only the threat of darkness could stop them. This is a case where a tie should count for something.  Well done gentlemen, well done.

3 comments:

  1. ANNIE, JUST WANTED TO SAY I LOVE THAT PICTURE TO THE LEFT. LITTLE ANNIE. I HOPE YOU HAVE IT FRAMED AND ON THE WALL. JUST SO CUTE. I ALWAYS LOVED ART ALL MY LIFE. LOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently painted that and will be giving it to my daughter. It was my first oil, usually I work in acrylics. Not sure if I like oil or not. The house is an acrylics, just seems easier, but I am just a beginner. Will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WISH I COULD JUST PAINT FREE STYLE. YEARS AGO I TOOK SOME LESSONS WITH SOME OF MY GAL PALS. I WAS SURPRISE WHEN I ACTUALLY PAINTED AN APPLE AND A FLOWER.I DID A LITTLE PEN AND INK.THAT WAS FUN. ALSO PAINTED AN OWL WITH A Q-TIP. WHAT A FOOL I WAS I GAVE IT AWAY TO A NEIGHBOR THAT LOVED OWLS. I WISH I HAD THAT PAINTING BACK BECAUSE IT TURNED OUT REAL GOOD. I COULD NEVER DO IT IT AGAIN UNLESS I HAD THAT TEACHER TO GUIDE ME. OH WELL, IT WAS FUN AT THE TIME. I'D DRAG MY KIDS WHEN THEY WERE SMALL AND OFF WE'D GO TO THE ART SHOWS EVERY YEAR. I LOVED IT. THE GIRLS STILL GO TO THE ART SHOWS. MY GRANDMOTHER ON MY DADS' SIDE WAS AN ARTIST. IT'S IN ME BUT NEED LESSONS.THEY HAVE ART CLASSES ON TV EVERY SAT. MORNINGS WHICH I WATCH EVERY WEEK. LOVE IT.

    TG LOU

    ReplyDelete