Wednesday, April 28, 2010

“Go say you’re sorry.”




I wonder how many times as a child you were told by your parents to "go say you were sorry" for something you did? And then as you grew up and became a parent yourself, did you repeat that same message to your children? 

I think today "I'm sorry" is becoming a meaningless expression. You can be sorry for an inadvertent act, bumping into someone or stepping on their foot, but to be apologetic for a willful act, such as calling a person a name or cheating on your spouse, I find a bit insincere. Unless, of course, you are saying, "I am sorry I got caught" or "I am sorry you had to hear that." Better to slow down and think before you act or speak and if you still mess up in the minds of others stick by your guns and take your lumps. 

Joe Biden was sorry for his f---ing remark, but probably not for saying it, but sorry it was heard by ears other than the President. Simple, think before you speak! England's Prime Minister called a women a bigot and then later apologized saying he didn't believe that. Why say it in the first place if that is not what you believe, think before you speak! 

Jesse James, Tiger Woods…etc. etc. all were sorry for screwing (up) literally but if they are being truthful the apology would probably read, "Man, I am really sorry I got caught." Sure you can be sorry for the pain and suffering you cause someone, but come on, think before you act. "Sorry, I wasn't thinking."


All these lame apologies are beginning to dilute the true meaning of being sorry, soon the word will have no meaning at all, even when you step on my foot, bump into me or are late for an appointment. I am sorry you had to waste your time reading this.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe people should just say "Pardon me" and we can leave the "I'm sorry" for the biggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAS THAT YOU IN CHICAGO THIS WEEKEND WITH BEAR?

    TG

    ReplyDelete