Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Goings on in Missouri’s Capitol


 Photo by Tim Bommel, Photojournalist Missouri State Capitol

My daughter, in the red dress, meeting Michael Reagan, son of Ronald Reagan 
at the Missouri Capitol this week

I'm not sure I have ever mentioned that my daughter serves as Legislative Assistant to Rep. Cole McNary of the 86th District here in Missouri. Linda is just finishing up her first term, well actually it is Cole's term, and she is there to assist. Both of them were new to state politics when this grand adventure started in January of 2009 and it has been fun to watch the learning curve in action. It takes a tremendous amount of energy and enthusiasm to get the people's work done and I tip my cap to them for their efforts even if politically our views don't always align. 

Just this past Saturday I attended a Women's Leadership Luncheon held at my daughter's home for Sue Allen who is running for re-election as representative for the 92nd District. Sue and my daughter share an apartment together in Jeff City when the legislature is in session. So you can probably imagine that their off-time is filled more with politics than soap opera catch ups. Anyway back to Saturday's luncheon. 

I learned something about myself that day and about my willingness to listen or not listen when someone is speaking that has an opposing view. I found myself willing to listen when an issue was being discussed, but when personalities were brought into the mix I turned off. I wonder if this is what's going on today with politics in general. This "line in the sand" stance with the Hatfield's on one side and the McCoy's on the other isn't the most productive way to get things done in my opinion. 

I don't know about you but I am getting tired of all the ugliness that is out there. I would hope man has evolved enough from his club-swinging cave days to be much more reasonable and rational. I think it is time that we speak up and tell all the political entertainers that we would rather see them working together for us and not working so hard for sound bites on the evening news.

2 comments:

  1. ANNIE, I LOVED REAGAN AND I ALSO LIKE MICHAEL. I HOPE IT DOSEN'T MAKE ME A BAD PERSON.LOL

    TG LOU

    ReplyDelete