Tuesday, February 2, 2010

And the Winner is...


SURPRISE ME!

Let me warn you I am writing this blog early in the morning - the sleepy seeds are gone but the general grumpiness remains, which is probably a wonderful basis for commenting on this year's Academy Award nominations.

Because of my generally skewed opinions on almost everything imaginable, this morning's announcements have probably found over-whelming acceptance by the general population. As part of my open and full disclosure policy let me state that I have seen only three of the movies nominated in all of the twenty-four categories. And they are: Invictus, Julie & Julia and Sherlock Holmes, so you can probably guess how my vote will go.

Now this is not to say there aren't others on the list that I intend to see, just that in the initial go around that's where box office price dollars were spent. I can't even claim spending my own money on two out of the three selections.

I hope Morgan Freeman gets best actor because I thought his portrayal of Mandela was outstanding. In time I will probably see the other actors nominated as 'best' except for Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart isn't calling to me.

I always love Meryl Streep and she was fantastic as Julia but seems there is some stiff competition in this category this year.

I always enjoy the weirdness of the Cohen Brothers, so The Messenger will make my 'to see' list along with The Lovely Bones, Precious and Up in the Air for starters. Is the elephant in the room making you uncomfortable? Ok, sorry... AVATAR - sorry, guess my question is 'Why'? I think the Academy should have a special category for movies of this nature, but that's just me talking in the grumpy hours of morn.

Gosh, I can't wait for the big night; the excitement, the anticipation and the gushing of thank you, thank you. Oh, and did I mention the anticipation?


1 comment:

  1. I DON'T GO TO THE MOVIES BUT IF I SAW SHERLOCK I'D VOTE FOR ROBERT. I REALLY LOVE HIM.

    TG

    ReplyDelete