Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wrigley Field West

Being a Cubs fan here in St. Louis isn't unheard of, but it's strange enough to get people to ask me why. I usually just respond that I like rooting for the underdog and let it go at that. But recently I had an epiphany thanks to my childhood friend Mollie. We exchange emails, not daily, but often and reminisce on things we did as young kids. Back in the early 1950's the only baseball we had out in Los Angles was the Pacific Coast League and a little team called the Los Angeles Angels. William K. Wrigley, Jr., owner of the Chicago Cubs, bought the Angles in 1921 for $150,000. In 1924 he began construction on Wrigley Field West, which opened in September of 1925. The park was designed to be like the one in Chicago with a few California touches, like a red-roofed white façade to fit in with the surrounding homes. In 1931 Wrigley installed field lights for night games, beating its Chicago counterpart by fifty-seven years.

In order for us to get to the park we would take the Pacific Electric Line, Red Car to Yellow Car, into Los Angeles. Imagine that, a couple of kids heading off to a ballgame together! What fun, I guess we were a responsible duo. I was hoping to unearth a program from one of those games, but I haven't dug that deep yet. But I have a vivid memory of getting an autograph from Chuck Connors, whose career included playing for the Celtics, Brooklyn Dodgers, and Chicago Cubs before getting shipped out to Los Angeles. Later he would launch his acting career – I remember him as the Rifleman.

Mollie and I would dutifully keep score of the game, recording every move of the ball in a most official manner. Unless, Mollie recalls, on one occasion when I got in a good natured shouting matching with an opposing manager named Lefty O'Doul. Hmm, I wonder what I thought I knew that he didn't know. Too funny. So I guess it was my teething and growing up in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field West that somehow left its Cubbies imprint on my baseball soul.

I have never been to the 'real' Wrigley Field in Chicago, but it is on my bucket list. I probably should really do that soon since the Cubs officially have a new owner now and it will probably not be long before the old park is brought up to today's standards. I would like to be able to experience the real deal before those changes take place.

1 comment: