Wednesday, July 3, 2013

... And the rockets red glare ...

Fireworks illuminate Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt, to celebrate the victory of of Mohammed Morsi, in the country’s presidential election, on June 24, 2012. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)


Egypt’s first freely elected president was ousted today, certainly with great assistance from the military. Reports are that this is the will of the people who have been extremely unhappy with Mohamed Morsi and his close ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

It is no secret that after Morsi’s election he brought many members of the Brotherhood into the government and I know from my recent visit to Egypt that there are many people, especially women, who have no love for the Brotherhood.

As the protests were being held against the president in Tahrir Square over the past four days at least 91 women have been assaulted and raped in this square in the security vacuum that exists there. Sexual harassment of women in Egypt is common and an increasing occurrence.

There will be many issues that will need to be addressed once again when a new government is in place. Perhaps some of those in that new government will be women; that would be a good start.

Here in the United States fireworks will go off in celebration of our long-standing freedoms. Freedoms that has been flawed on many occasions, but nonetheless precious freedoms that must be continually reviewed, made right when necessary and protected at any cost.
For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. – Nelson Mandela

Happy Fourth of July! 




1 comment:

  1. Good post, Annie. I love the way you can say, "I've been to Egypt; I know stuff." You do indeed. I think your goal should be to visit all countries. This way, no matter what you post about, you can say "And I should know because I've been to Timbuktu (or wherever)." Happy 4th!

    PS: I love the Tahrir Square protesters. They seem very cool and cosmopolitan, which comes as a big surprise to me. I hope they get a true democracy with human rights protections for all, including the evil Muslim Brotherhood (may it rot in hell).

    ReplyDelete