Monday, January 12, 2015

The Dowager Speaks



I had the grand idea tonight that I wanted to be the Dowager of our little family… upon further investigation I found that I am disqualified on so many fronts. What a pity!

The Dowager Speaks:

“One can't go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We'd all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”

“Nothing succeeds like excess”.

“What is a weekend?”

“It's the job of grandmothers to interfere!”

And finally….

[after all Robert's evening-dress shirts have gone missing, he is forced to come down to dinner in a black tie and white shirt, much to the horror of the ladies]
Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham: [glancing at Robert, while flustered] Do you think I might have a drink?
Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham: [looking more closely at Robert] Oh, I'm so sorry. I thought you were a waiter.




1 comment:

  1. Maggie's great. No one can deliver a line like her, though Anjelica Huston comes close. Either one can arrive at my house unannounced for coffee and ladyfingers. I'd always let them in. And that's a promise. Hi, Annie!

    ReplyDelete