Saturday, August 4, 2012

Tuesday's Primary - God is on the ballot


CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT NO. 2   Proposed by the 96th General Assembly (First Regular Session) HJR 2


Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure
- That the right of Missouri citizens to express their religious beliefs shall not be infringed
- That school children have the right to pray and acknowledge God voluntarily in their schools   and
- That all public schools shall display the Bill of Rights of the United States Constitution.

~ ~ ~
I always believed that praying could be a silent act, I could be standing right next to you, our elbows touching, and I could be contacting my god and you standing right there in actual contact with me, could be totally unaware of this act of prayer I was engaged in.

I believe this back in the 50's when prayer in school was an issue. I was a kid then and I couldn't figure out what all the hoop-la was about. If I wanted to pray I could do so and no one would know except me and my god.

Here we are a million years later, I am no longer a kid instead I'm old and some probably believe I should be praying everyday that I will receive god's blessing and be accepted into heaven to reside in bliss for eternity.

But I don't pray and I don't believe in god, but if you do fine and dandy and if you want your children to pray in school fine, just do it quietly, so quietly I won't have a clue what they are doing. Because as much as people who pray feel they have a constructional right to do this, I think I also have the right not to have to endure public prayer, I find it offensive in public places.

It's my guess that if a little Muslim child rolled out his prayer rug in the classroom and faced Mecca and began to pray it would not be allowed. I bet the public schools wouldn't allow a priest to swing through the classroom with his incense ball while little Catholic children prayed. Then there is the Buddhist children, the Hindi children, the Jewish children and the list goes on and on... but over-looks the right of non-believer to express their non-belief. Does this right to pray and acknowledge god voluntarily include the right to not pray and acknowledge no god? Now that would truly be religious freedom.

Want to read more about prayer? Click here for Prayer 


"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus 

Want to read more about Atheism? Click here for Atheism

No comments:

Post a Comment