Thursday, April 19, 2012

Big Bullies


Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power.

Today when the Governor of Missouri, Jan Nixon, Democrat, joined forces with the likes of BIG business, namely Ameren and Westinghouse, to bring  a smaller version nuclear reactor to Missouri, I felt like I was being bullied.

When Ameren wants its own way it finds a way. Reminds me when I was a kid and my Mom wanted me to take my medicine, she would disguise it some tasty like applesauce or a banana

Today Ameren and Westinghouse teamed up with the blessing of Pope Nixon, er, sorry....Gov. Nixon, and have found a new twist to make the nuclear pill palatable. This time in the form of a smaller 225-megawatt reactor rather than the traditional 1,000-megawatt reactor. Really just a Barbie version of what we are all used to, small enough to place within a safe distance from the Dream House.

What gets my goat is why can't we have prolonged and open discussion with the public at large when it comes to these decisions. I mean after all the rate payers and tax payers will be asked to foot the bill for this construction. Yet, all the big talks go one almost unnoticed until voila the day of announcement when it magically appears in the news, all but signed, sealed and delivered.

I like the fact that Gov. Nixon, Democrat, is looking out for us little people. I haven't taken the time to see who his major contributors are for his reelection bid, but I bet if I guessed I wouldn't be far off.

Back in November of 2010 the Governor endorsed the idea of allowing utilities to charge customers for the costs of obtaining an early site permit. I mean why should the very company that stands to make money off the venture be asked to put up any up-front costs?

And last month Westinghouse Electric mentioned it would be applying for up to $452 Million worth of investment funds from the  DOE (Department of Energy). These funds were approved by Congress  to assist the development and use of small modular reactor technology.

Wasn't it just a couple of days ago that Congress rejected the Buffet Rule, that would have increased taxes on wealthier individuals? Well it's nice to know that Congress can pass some things, especially things that help to keep big business, BIG and in business.

Additional Information on this subject can be found at:

From HuffPost Green

From St.Louis Today

No comments:

Post a Comment