Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 Earth Odyssey - Happy New Year 2010




I don't know what it is about the end of a year – always bitter/sweet it seems. Sometimes the scales are tipped heavy with all the things I wished I had accomplished and didn't. I don't feel that way this year. On February 20, 2009 I wrote my first blog entry, since then there have been 161, this will make 162. My goal was to write a little something every day, on this I did fall short, but I learned that even the simplest of blogs, like mine, can take more time to do than one would imagine. I have received positive feedback from friends, family and unacquainted's and that makes me feel good. I hope my grandchildren will view this blog of mine sort of like a journal of my life, a gift to them. I don't know how often they read it but it would make me happy to know that they did stop by the artichoke stand every now and again.

In March of this year I began several volunteer endeavors, some taking more time than others, some more important, other of less importance. The main thing is that I am taking some of those uneventful retirement hours and putting them to good use in lending a helping hand where I can. Days filled with work gives one a sense of self-worth and being occupied helps to distract the mind from having to process those ever increasing aches and pain moments of aging.

For the most part I have completed the research for my book and I will begin the writing process in earnest with the commence of the new year. Discipline is the key factor. I will imagine myself off in the wilderness somewhere in a tiny little cabin, sitting in front of a manual typewriter and listening to the sounds of the words forming on the paper with each stroke of the keys. Someone should design a computer keyboard that would make those wonderful old typewriter sounds; I always loved the 'ding' when you neared the end of a line.

I became an avid Netflix viewer this year, so much so I rarely grace the inside of a movie theater anymore, but I must say 2009 looks like it will be ending on a high note with all the good movies that are now in theaters. I think I may sneak off and see Invictus before the year is out. I have the soundtrack and I really love the music.

Those of you who have made this blog journey with me this year, thank you for being there. To all I wish the very best in 2010, stay safe and don't forget all those who serve and are in harm's way, we owe them so much.

2 comments:

  1. ANNIE, I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE OF YOUR BLOG. IT'S BEEN FUN HAVING A FRIEND LIKE YOU. I TOO WISH I COULD WRITE A BOOK BUT I'M NOT ONE TO TAKE ON A PROJECT LIKE THAT. I'D RATHER SIT OUT IN A QUIET PLACE WHERE THERE'S NO NOISE EXCEPT GOD,NATURE AND ME.

    TG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I am looking forward to your book, but I hope you will still continue with "This & That with Artichoke Annie" Alot of people will miss it including me.

    ReplyDelete